Friday, September 27, 2013

Adventure #2 Blue Lake





 Without properly testing the new bus, we really had no idea how reliable it would be but instead of being scared of it, we just jumped in it and took off one night. The tires had just been installed on the rear and I was anxious to stretch her legs a bit. Right out of the gate it was running a little warm for me. Detroit Diesels are fairly particular when it comes to running warm so I was white knuckles all the way over Pinto Ridge. When we arrived at Blue Lake I went to start the generator and it was hard to start and acting like it was out of fuel even though I had just filled it. So to recap, hot main engine, generator quits, no air conditioning,  95 F and it just keeps getting better. We smiled, sweated and made the absolute best of it. The next morning when I figured it was cool enough to attempt a return trip, the starting batteries were dead and I had not packed any tools or jumpers. We had to call a friend and we got it started and limped it home. What I didn't know then was how many systems I would be learning about if I wanted to continue having "adventures" in our new bus.

No comments:

Post a Comment